Friday, November 11, 2011

WCA and Individuality

This week in class we discussed a couple of articles that were heavily focused on individuality and we also had the treat of going to the Waterloo Center of the Arts to see their Permanent Haitian Art Collection. I found myself comparing the WCA's gallery to the Art Institute of Minneapolis, and I thought the way both museums showed their collection showed an interesting comparison.

At the Waterloo Center of the Arts, each section was focused heavily on what medium each piece was out of. All though the WCA's was focused on one culture and the AI of Minneapolis was a wider range of African Art, the fact that the WCA was sectioned off into different mediums I found oddly intriguing. I found the way that the art was displayed gave it more of a "craft" feel rather then an actual exhibition. I'm not sure why I felt this way, but I also think that when the exhibition was seperated into different mediums it didn't allow me to see the exhibition as a whole. My favorite part of the Haitian collection where the metal sculptures since they where fairly new to me and we hadn't studied them too much in class. I enjoyed the paint-like style of the sculptures, but being able to see them three-dimensionally really added to the depictions.

What I really wanted to focus on for my blog this week was the discussion we had on Tuesday. The question that got raised about Individuality and the oppression we face that helps bring it out. Well what if that oppression of a superior force wasn't there, who would we be? Would our individuality still be based upon negativity from contrasting ideas somewhere else, or would it allow us to truely be who we can be? Or maybe our negativite oppressed life is who we are supposed to be as artists. It's hard to wonder "what if" on this type of situation since I don't see it changing any time soon.Yet, this paragraph might just be my negativity towards the oppression that Rotimi Fani-Kayode faced in the articles we read.

Being able to view Art that we are studying helps us connect to what we are learning and helps us enhance our visual vocabulary. It's quite incredible that we have such a great Haitian Art collection in a smaller city, Waterloo, that we are able to take advantage of to help connect us.

2 comments:

  1. The metal sculptures are often made out of recycled tin--scraps from cans now discarded. This is interesting in light of Katie's blog too. I wasn't able to understand what you meant in your paragraph about the discussion--are you following up on the idea that Charles presented re: the dominant status quos are something for individuals to define themselves against, and without which we couldn't even be individuals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make the visit to the WCA in time before it closed for the week so it was nice to hear the layout of the exhibition to prepare myself. I also enjoyed your small comparison to the AI of Minneapolis, it makes it interesting to see how different museums view their exhibitions and how they want the view to interpret it.

    ReplyDelete